Tuesday 15 May 2012

Bush Is In


I recently read as a headline for an article (in the form of ‘breaking news’) “Eyebrows Are Back In Fashion!” It made me chuckle. I didn’t realize that such a thing could actually go in and out of fashion. Oh what feeble sheep us humans can be. Not too sure what one does with these body parts when they are “out of fashion”? Lop them off in fear of the shame of being unfashionable? 
I study eyebrows. Gone are the days when I evaluate people on character, shoes or boobs. I’ve become a stuck up snob in the presentation of eyebrows and will judge a character based on how well you groom those bushy puppies above your eyes (men included). 
My snobbery is completely justified however for I own an eyebrow bar (Play Brow Bar) in South Yarra, Melbourne. Eyebrows have become my life.
Now, one conclusion I have so informatively come to via observation, knowledge and the Mr Ever So Knowledgable Google is that ‘bush is in’. One’s mind may instantly divert to the lower regions of the human anatomy. And my household is very adapt to adopting this ‘bush is in’ principle (in the lower region) not however due to a heightened fashion sense, but simply due to complete and utter ‘marriage comfortableness’.
Right enough potty talk. Bush is in. Famous people who I can’t remember the names of, have dictated that this is in fact what you should be doing this season. 
See below for some photoshopped beautiful people (who will only make you feel inferior, over weight and compelled to dedicate your life to the attainment of a Gucci handbag).
Beautiful Person
Bush, or more eloquently put as ‘fuller brows’ is what one should aim for, not just this season & because it is what is ‘in’ but as a general rule in aid of not looking ridiculous.  Pencil thin is out. And has been out before it even came in, for I don’t think it was ever in. Maybe it was. Maybe I missed that memo. None the less. Thin is out and fat is in (gosh wouldn’t that statement be wonderful if it was true for the rest of the female body. Maybe eyebrows will begin a whole new revolution in the female presentation! Wouldn’t that be smashing).
I have yet to see a face that suits little wee lines posing as eyebrows. It creates a plastic and an overly expressioned face. Or put another way, look tacky. Have a look at Pammy below. She is hot, boobs or no boobs you wouldn't say no. But the brows don't do much for her. 
Pammy....you're a sexy wee chicken but you need a little bush hon

But bush comes with grooming. You can’t just go all out and let those puppies grow free and wild. There is a little care and maintenance involved in achieving this look.
The aim would be to go a groomed version of au natural. The brow should be thick, yet feminine, and then perfectly groomed (preferably through the method of threading) to form a well-defined shape and a gorgeous, lifted arch.

Old Ange has gotten the bush effect in full

It is recommended that you take you & your hairy wee bush brows in & see an expert in eyebrow shaping. I'm not going to be feeble and plug my eyebrow bar, but I will say go to someone who specializes in threading and knows their stuff. One great way to see if they are any good is look at their brows. Mis-shaped hairy wee puppies equals leave. Nice, groomed, well shaped, suits their 'look' and face shape equals take a seat & let the threading begin.
There is always the added trick after you've had your bush seen to by an expert and that is the magic of filling in the gaps with pencil or brow shadow to give the smoother, more defined look. You can also play around with your basic shape adding a higher arch or what have you. 

More to come another day about the benefits of threading vs other forms of brow hair removal.

Go Play with it!

Peace out kids

Jessica xXx

9 comments:

  1. I'm definitely guilty of neglecting my brows... I go all hippy on the upper regions... mostly cuz I'm uuber blonde and so you can't really tell in the wintertime that they have gotten as hairy as a wookie ... but now that it's summer I guess I'm going to have to make that appointment with my local waxer.. when I have $10 to spare, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( my eyebrows are so sparse that they are almost invisible... not so much from plucking - they just aren't there! Shall I go in for an eyebrow transplant? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never fair Lady In Red the beauty of a bit of brow serum works wonders! I'm sure you can pick up some in your local drug store (chemist). I found the Loreal one works rather well. (If they don't have the brow serum, then chuck the eyelash one on) It actually works and you see growth in 3-4 weeks if applied daily (simply as...a couple of swipes on where you want the puppies to be and your ready to go). Also some brow powder to fill in the gaps while you grow. Pencil may be a bit too much of a Pammy look, but powder you could pull off!

      Delete
    2. Seriously? Wow... I was just joking and didn't thing there would be a solution. I'm living in India right now so not sure if anything is available - but would definitely look into it when I go back to the states. Can you sort of shape your eyebrows with the stuff? I mean, can you paint it on exactly where you want the hair to grow?

      So much fun to learn about this - and I'm thrilled that Bexstar pointed your site out to us :-)

      Delete
    3. Yes there IS a solution. I don't think (by what you have said) that you will ever be a hairy bush pig in the brow region, but you can stimulate some growth. You have to have a wee bit of fluff for it to speed up & stimulate. It won't magically grow hairs where there has never been hairs before. Does that make sense?
      Buy some when you are back and tell me how you go.
      P.S India sounds way fun!

      Delete
    4. Thanks! I'll definitely look into this - and also the eyelash serum that you've mentioned in your most recent post. It will be fun to try this stuff out and see what happens. I'll keep you posted for sure.

      India is fun :) but I'm ready for a change!

      Delete
  3. @chemgirljaime...go threading baby! Stuff the wax, go for a thread. Pre owing a brow bar, I was a wee bush piglet in the brow region, so I'm tracking with you on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, glad to here the bush us back, so to speak. I like a natural brow - SO glad I've ignored the pencil thin look all these years, and the shape and thickness of mine's not bad I just have a few stray extra hairs underneath from time to time but generally I'm happy with the way they look. Threading? What's THAT all about? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey WeezaFish...sorry I only just saw your comment! Ohoooo threading...it is so what all the cool kids are doing these days. It is an ancient form of hair removal where a cotton thread is gently pulled along the hair and softly pulls them out from the root. It is more precise than waxing, lasts longer and much better for your skin (no tugging like waxing & plucking) - so you won't get those saggy eye thing when you get older. You Tube 'threading' and you'll get a jolly good idea.
    Lovely to hear that you are a bush lady xXx

    ReplyDelete